Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Altering Curtains

Unfortunately I didn't take very many pictures of this craft... (Bad Blogger!) but I will write about it here anyway. A co-worker had bought some curtains for her house, one pair was too short and one pair was too long. She needed a piece put in to make the curtains longer, and she needed the other ones hemmed. I decided that if I was going to put a piece in one pair, I better put it in both, so that they all match.

It was very simple, and I picked a fabric that would make it even easier! A geometric pattern that gives you straight lines is definitely  the way to go!

What I did was randomly cut the curtains in two, then I sewed the fabric I purchased to the bottom of the curtain. This bit was very easy. The bit that was more tricky (but still pretty easy) was making the curtains the right length! I first measured from the bottom of the grommets to the end of the curtains the 84" they needed to be. This was wrong. Curtains hang from the TOP of grommets! Duh! So I had to readjust it. After I got one done, the only other hard part was making sure I put the extra panel in the same spot for the one it was going to hang next to. This just involved measuring and re-measuring several times before I sewed it up!

And the finished product was this:

I will try to get her to take a picture of them actually hanging in her house to add later!


No comments:

Post a Comment